- North Polk Schools
- The City of Polk City
- Polk City Square get connected
- The Polk City Fire Department
- The Polk City Chamber of Commerce
- Big Creek Historical Society
Polk County and Iowa Links
- Polk County, Iowa
- Polk County Conservation Board
- Polk County Extension
- Iowa Department of Tourism
- State of Iowa
Iowa Library Links
Books and Reading Links for Children
- Early Childhood Iowa
- Arthur's Home Page
- Family Fun magazine
- Harry Potter
- National Geographic
- Jan Brett's Home Page
- PBS Websites for Kids
- Sesame Street
- Children's Museum of Indianapolis
Books and Reading Links for Teens
Books and Reading Links for Adults
- Book Browser Reading Lists
- What's Next? Adult Fiction in Series
- BOOK the Magazine for the Reading Life
- Consumer World-(Consumer World is a public service guide cataloging over 2000 of the most useful consumer resources.)
Encyclopedias and General Reference
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online
- Internet Public Library
- The TIME Archive
- Education Place
Help Links for Job Seeking
- Early Childhood Iowa —Iowa’s Early Childhood Parent web site
- ALA Parent Guide (Links to preschool activities, homework help, and general information)
- Geography information-United Nations site
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Home Schooling
- Infoplease Homework Center
- Homework Tools- for kids on the web
College & University Guides and Scholarship Information
- 2006 Colleges, College Scholarships, & Universities
- Student gateway to the U.S. Government (State & Federal student aid, register with the Selective Service, passports, student gateway to U.S. Government)
- American Stock Exchange
- CNN/Money Magazine
- NASDAQ Exchange
- Mortgage Calculator & Financial Calculators
- Cyndi's List (This site links to many other genealogy Web sites)
- Ellis Island records
- Iowa Genealogical Society
- Medline plus Health Information ( A service of the National Library of Medicine)
News & Weather
The Polk City Community Library provides EBSCOhost, an online reference system, to our patrons. EBSCOhost provides access to thousands of searchable full text periodicals which may be printed or e-mailed.
Go to the website and log in using the user name and password shown below.
User Name: polkcity
Read more about some of the different databases available on EBSCOhost.
- Masterfile Premier: Designed specifically for public libraries, this multidisciplinary database provides full text for nearly 2,000 general reference publications with full text information dating as far back as 1975. MasterFILE Premier also includes 315 full text reference books, nearly 100,000 biographies, and an image collection of 116,000 photos, maps and flags. Updated daily.
- ERIC: the Educational Resource Information Center contains more than 2,200 digests along with references for additional information and citations and abstracts from over 980 educational and education-related journals.
- High School Resources: MAS Ultra - School Edition, designed specifically for high school libraries, provides full text from nearly 550 popular general interest and current events publications covering general reference, health, science, and other areas back to 1995. In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for 600 titles. Every full text article is assigned a reading level indicator (Lexiles). This database also includes more than 3,000 charts, tables and graphs; 5,000 full text Magill Book Reviews; nearly 550 health and science-related full text pamphlets; coverage of more than 250 reference books (including the Columbia Encyclopedia, the CIA World Fact Book and World Almanac & Book of Facts) and an image collection of 91,000 photos, maps & flags.
- Health Source, Counsumer Edition: With this database you can search for information on many health topics including the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine and general health. Health Source features searchable full text for over 190 journals, as well as abstracts and indexing for over 205 general health, nutrition and professional health care publications. Also included are USP Pharmacopoeia DI: Volume II Advice for the Lay Patient and 20 health research books, including books published by the People's Medical Society. Other features include Stedman's Medical Dictionary and searchable full text for over 1,060 health-related pamphlets.
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia- For students and adults alike, the Funk & Wagnalls New Encyclopedia database indexes over 25,000 records. Full text for each record may be easily accessed by double clicking on the topic from the display. This database is updated annually.
- EBSCO Animals- EBSCO's Encyclopedia of Animals offers in-depth information on a variety of topics relating to animals. The database consists of indexing, abstracts, and full text records describing the nature and habitat of familiar animals. Within some of the full text, image links are available for the Windows client. Images are accessed by double-clicking any image graphic.
- Newspaper Source- Newspaper Source contains full text for 175 regional U.S. newspapers, 20 international newspapers, 15 newswires and newspaper columns, and 24 TV and radio transcripts. The database also contains cover-to-cover coverage of The Christion Science Monitor, USA Today, and The Los Angeles Times; and abstracts for the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.